PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitch trim - poorly understood?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2016, 03:36
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
framer,

Thank you for that summary of the thread... this is how I read it too, and you have weeded out the distractions.

I've been flying this thing for decades, and this scenario has certainly made me think, and wonder how I would behave in this situation.

What I'm having trouble with, however, is how does a normal go-around (or windshear escape) end up running out of elevator? I've done plenty of go-arounds in the Sim and aircraft, and plenty of windshear escapes (in the Sim only, lucky for me), and I've never come close to full forward elevator.

The only time I can recall getting to full forward elevator was practicing stall recovery after having allowed the autopilot to trim back to stick-shaker, so commencing the recovery with the stab considerably aft.

If full forward elevator happened in a go-around, I would simply reduce thrust (after all, the aircraft was in-trim at lower thrust just prior to the go-around). I certainly wouldn't be flinging it into a 60 degree bank at low level.

If it happened during a windshear escape, which is more likely due to application of maximum thrust, then that would be more interesting, because one wouldn't want to be reducing thrust in windshear. But if a few seconds of forward trim doesn't solve the problem, then I would think another emergency exists (some form of flight control non-normal).

P.S. Otto, Jwscud is correct. Auto-coupled windshear escape is only available for dual channel approach.