PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 4th Apr 2016, 00:59
Agrajag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agrajag,
You must be kidding, I hope you are. Such a statement probably reflects a brief exposure to the system, without ever coming to understand how well, how smoothly, it all works (likewise CA)

Communication (which is not the same as Australian "radio procedures") in US is, in fact, highly disciplined, and ICAO compliant.
Sorry for the late reply.

But LeadSled, you & I must have been flying in parallel universes.

Highly disciplined? It's like listening in on a CB radio club. How disciplined is, "Center, United XXX, checkin' in three-fahv-oh, smooth."

How about controllers instructing us to "Maintain F200" when we're cruising at F390 and what he really means is "Descend F200." Does he think we're already there? Should we check? Wouldn't it be easier if he just said the right thing in the first place? And why is this a practice at one busy international airport, but not another?

Why do they talk at a million miles an hour, to airlines whose first language is not English, using local colloquialisms? And then get snarky when asked to say it again?

Why do they vector us onto parallel approaches with slower aircraft, then scream blue murder when we go around because of a TCAS RA which we are required to follow? And when our company contacts them to explain how they're setting us up for this situation, why do they keep doing it?

Sorry again, but this is not a model I believe we should emulate.

I'm convinced that the biggest problem we have with comms in Australia is that we have rules, but people can't be arsed to find out what they are and then comply. So we have needless calls to the wrong recipient, or pilots copying what they heard someone else say, because they think it sounded cool.

Perhaps the list of Oz comms procedures is a good thing, because at least it can be used as a reference. It's available to anyone who takes the trouble to find out. Surely that's part of being able to share the airspace responsibly, and is not too much to ask.