PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitch trim - poorly understood?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2016, 00:21
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
After reading all the input here I have come to the conclusion that in all operations where full forward control column is not needed, the system is intuitive. I monitored my own actions more closely than usual a few days ago in a climb that required several seconds of AND trim, and it was intuitive, the force required initially on the control column was quite high but nowhere near full forward, as the stabiliser started to have an effect it was natural to allow the control column to move aft towards the neutral position.
I have never needed full forward control column in the seven or so years that I have been flying the NG, so if tomorrow I did.....would it be intuitive how much AND trim to put in?
I think that if a pilot ends up with nose high, full forward control column, and trimming forward, that the trick would be to stop trimming forward as soon as the nose does start to move in the right direction rather than keep trimming with a determination to get the nose down. It would be quite natural to keep trimming when the attitude slowly drops from 35 nose up to 34...33...32... because the pilot really wants it to hurry up and get to 10 degrees where they feel comfortable, but by the time the nose is coming through 15 degrees the stabiliser is trimmed to require significant back pressure to maintain level flight.
I'd welcome any thoughts on the above, that is my take.
Framer