PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 20:51
mommaklee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again,

I was tinkering with acceleration vectors derived from the FR24 provided ADS-B data... a fearsome endeavor on several fronts!

Using these, I took a first stab at the ascent angle the crew of FZ981 might have felt (which could be completely wrong as I am way out of my league as a meteorologist trying to calculate an aviator's somatogravic illusion -- nothing could go wrong with that! ).

My methodology:
-- calculate the plane's ascent angle (simple right angle triangle trig) using the vertical and horizontal velocities (I created a second vert. velocity set which used the gps altitude changes in the last few seconds as the VV reported look to be off (I could speculate as to why, but that would be a different post)

-- calculate vert and horiz accel based on changing vert and horiz velocities.

-- add gravity (9.8 m/s) to the vert. accel

-- calculate the acceleration vector (as well as the not shown magnitude) based on H&V accel such that 90deg equals no aircraft accel, and 1g of fwd (and level) accel equals 45deg. (for example only)

-- Pitch illusion I estimated as: (90deg - AccelAngle + AscentAngle). I estimated this based on the lower of the two plots on this chart from the AIB:

I would not be shocked if I made one or more boneheaded mistakes, and would be more than happy to fix them . I would be happy to share my excel worksheets.

I hope this is helpful,

Jacob