PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Giving Up Smoking.. Help Wanted!
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2003, 22:06
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't be arsed to read all the posts previous to this one but I heard that the actual time your body is physically addicted to the nicotine is about two days I think. So, after two ciggie-free days you should no longer physically crave the smokes, any desire you feel for them after that is purely in your head and any psychological side effectc you feel from not smoking after that period *should* be handled with strong determination and inner strength to stop.

Sometimes removing ones self from their circle of friends who smoke and places where smoke is common is a good idea to assist in the early stages of quitting just like an alcoholic/drug addict is advised to change their circle of friends when trying to get sober/clean is a positive step.

I enjoy smoking when I'm having a drink (guess you might call me a social smoker) but I do go through phases when I smoke during the day too. I have at various times been a 20 a day man but after a while I began to notice the snotty nose, coughs and general crappy feeling so cut down with staggering ease.

Fundamental to quitting is having the desire to do so. If you wish to quit but still crave the vice you are trying to escape from then you don't really have the required desire as far as I can see.

I enjoy the times I smoke and feel fine compared to the 20 a day periods I went through. I think it's possible to sustain the pleasure derived from the occasional ciggie without being a sucker to the nicotine cravings which I personally have not found all that strong anyway.

VFE.