PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SEP over water - do you? And if so how far will you go?
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 10:48
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This maybe way off topic but I had the pleasure of meeting Sarah Young at a Party held for the launch of the Klipper around the world yacht race.

Thinking of comments attributed to the Sea being a very dangerous force and one which has to be very respected made me think of the comparison.
She was in the water for less than an hour but they could not revive her.

We are miles away from Reality sitting in a warm environment a few thousand feet up admiring those pretty whitecaps from a distance.
The shock of being there and a few minutes later trying to land in a wall of 20 foot waves and meeting the sea in all its force must be a massive shock.

Sarah Young was a bright bubbly, adventurous person excited at the prospect of this next new adventure now she is no more.

There is a risk and this sort of flying is about what level of risk you are prepared to take.
Sarah was unclipped from the safety line and because of that perished so we should learn from that which doesn't mean sitting in our safe, warm cockpits in jeans and a T shirt with a life raft and jackets tucked away some where in the back but taking every precaution

Don't fly near Dark but make your crossing in the morning

Don't attempt a water crossing if white caps are visible as we all know the damage a car sustains hitting a brick wall at 30 mph

Be properly clothed for the crossing

Wear life jackets and have the life raft at hand

Keep good communication and make sure someone knows your position along the crossing.

You may make risk decisions for yourself but do you have the right to make those decisions for others who don't know or appreciate the risk or may not be as fit as you.

Alone its our choice and no one to blame but ourselves if the cards are stacked against us

Finally a comment from Skipper that in any risk sport there is always the ultimate penalty to pay even with precautions and it is the spirit of people that makes us do these things so while having seen that view of Narsarsuaq in the picture above from a multi engined Turbine I admire those people who fly single piston all that way over a hostile invironment as they have more guts than me

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 3rd Apr 2016 at 10:59.