PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 10:14
Capn Bloggs

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
Well Ramrod, I would say that Australian pilots made this problem, not Dick.....

Then we had 20 mile MBZ's and a whole lot of stuff I have forgotten.

Finally we have endless circuit commentaries, needless broadcasts and pilots who simply love the sound of their own voices feeding back into their ears in an empty circuit. Australian pilots need to grow up and never will while the regulator has "safety" in its name and promotes endless legislation....

So you reckon Dick has created the problem? I reckon you are plain wrong and should admit it.
No! Dick Smith introduced the NAS, which included multiple circuit calls (which rightly caused an uproar because of CTAF overload). It took CASA to reverse that particular change back to something logical and safe to the current system of two calls only (similar to what it was before, ironically), with other calls "on demand". All this was, of course, after the famous memo to all pilots from Dick Smith circa early 1990s about keeping quiet on the R/T, so that fare-paying pax operations had to rely on the least experienced in the system to determine the seriousness of a conflict and then pipe up. For over a decade we were encouraging pilots to talk. Now we are encouraging pilots to tone down their talking. All because of...

Rediculous!