PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 05:53
Lead Balloon

Received 445 Likes on 224 Posts
I ask again, Dick: What are the mandatory calls for aircraft operating at and in the vicinity of an unmarked, unlicensed, unregistered airstrip in G?

You keep asserting that around 90% of GA are ignoring the 'new' CASA rule. Why is it that I don't hear them on 126.7? I hear lots and lots of calls on 126.7 from aircraft operating at or near aerodromes I've heard of or can identify on a map. Why don't I hear any from all these unmarked strips that are supposed to be so busy? It's not to say it doesn't happen; it's just that it would be so unusual that I would remember it.

Re evidence re 90% not complying.

On the flight to the Kimberly and back I passed over hundreds of strips that were not marked on charts. From time to time a saw taxiing aircraft. Not once did I hear a call on the ATC area frequency .

On my regular flights from Sydney to The Canberra area I pass over dozens of small strips in the Southern Highlands area . Some are quite busy on weekends. I have not heard one taxiing or circuit call on the Area frequency which I monitor because of the half wound back system requirements.
And do they transmit on 126.7 instead of Area?

If you're going to tell me with all your frequency monitoring activities you don't listen to 126.7 as well as Area, I'm going to tell you: pull the other one, it plays jingle bells.

I also ask again: Do you entertain the possibility that those aircraft have no radios, or have them but their pilots make the decision not to use them?

Or maybe the movements are so rare that you miss the call on Area or 126.7?

Pilots e.g. making announcements northbound or southbound in the 'lane' north of Bankstown is a different issue. Those announcements seem pretty pointless to me - not sure why anyone makes them. But the frequency never seems to me to be overly busy.