PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia to be privatised ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2016, 05:15
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aerial Perspective/Icarus 2001
Gee, thanks for that!!
I have only been a director of a number of public (Ltd.) companies, and private companies (Pty Ltd) with the AICD (and common sense) recommended knowledge(I hope) of the Corporations Act 2001 and predecessors, so what would I know??

There has been no suggestion that the status of Virgin will change, in particular that one shareholder will buy out all/other existing shareholders, and "take it private", (ceasing to be a public company) which has a completely different accepted meaning to "privatise/privatisation".

<https://stats.oecd.org/glossary/detail.asp?ID=3287>

Privatisation refers to transfer of ownership and control of government or state assets, firms and operations to private investors.

There are plenty of other dictionary definitions that say the same thing.
Tootle pip!!

PS: From about 1949, when Qantas was delisted, it had the status of an unlisted public company, because it did not have the spread of shares required for listing, it did not become a Pty Ltd company,which made the subsequent sale of shares in the company by the Federal Government straight forward. .
By contrast, the National Airlines Commission, t/a Trans Australian Airlines, later Australian Airlines, was "privatised", when it was sold to Qantas Airways Ltd. There was a little more to the transaction than that, but you get the drift.

Last edited by LeadSled; 3rd Apr 2016 at 05:28.