PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2016, 14:56
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MACH2NUMBER
to the detriment of wider public safety and only for the benefit of lawyers and those who do not understand aviation safety.
The Court of Appeal decision was discussed during the seminar mentioned which was organised by the RAeS Air Law group. Those who attended were primarily aviation lawyers (barristers & solicitors) and others involved in or interested in aviation accident investigation.
Everyone who contributed to the debate introduced themselves and their role. As I said in my previous post, the large majority considered that the use of AAIB reports in court proceedings would do nothing to enhance aviation safety and had the potential to erode it. To the best of my recollection, only two lawyers (both solicitors) argued that the Court of Appeal was right.

I obviously haven't discussed the decision with every aviation lawyer but I have yet to encounter any (apart from the two mentioned above) who think it was correct.

I agree that people who do not understand the wider aviation safety issues and implications are likely to be pleased by the decision.