PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geostrophic wind vs pressure gradient question
Old 2nd Apr 2016, 13:26
GIVMI55W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Geostrophic wind vs pressure gradient question

Hi all,

I am new and I hope this is the correct forum

Question1:

Geostrophic wind = equilibrium of forces between Coriolis, pressure gradient and centrifugal force. According to picture 1, the Coriolis opposes the gradient force. This is the case because the Coriolis is always acting to the right (NH) to the wind direction.

If we now bring the friction into the game, the pressure gradient force remains the same, whereas the wind force and therefore the Coriolis decrease. The wind should turn to the left (surface wind), picture 2.

The point where all 4 forces act is the small blue circle on the picture and I now imagine that the wind and Coriolos force decrease, the pressure gradient (which has the same force as without friction) should pull the small blue circle upwards and therefore move the wind arrow to the right?? But according to picture 2, it moves to the left??

WHY ? Where is my error in reasoning?

Question 2:

Is the Coriolis force only opposing the pressure gradient when we are looking at the geostrophic wind?

The guy in the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zSN18isTYk) explains the cyclonic and anticyclonic flow. But in his explanation, the Coriolis force is in a right angle to the pressure gradient??? It should be in a right angle to the wind. At least this should be true for the geostrophic wind. What is the difference?
The wind should be blowing parallel to the isobars, in his video, it is blowing across? This should only be the case for lower winds with friction?

Thank you very much for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: png
picture 1.png (35.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png
picture 2.png (34.9 KB, 7 views)