PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Gen AirShips - Hybrid Air Vehicles, UK
Old 2nd Apr 2016, 09:43
Tim Robinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L-J - apology accepted.

I agree that there have been earlier 'second comings' that never panned out - so it is wise to treat all claims with caution. The HEMV/Blue Devil concept of a high-alt airship trying to keep on station over mountainous Afghanistan with high-speed winds to fight against, seemed flawed to begin with.

Talking to experts today, they see to indicate a lower flight profile would be better. The above comments about survivability are v interesting and one ISR industry source I spoke to recently thought that with payload of 10tonnes you could put a phenomenal sensor package on AND the world's best DAS/jammer/ECM on it.

Presumably in some fleet overwatch super-Crows-Nest role it would be operating under (or v v close) to the SAM umbrella of Type 45s/Aegis anyhow - and it might be able to be part of a CEC/Naval Integrated Fire Control-Counter Air—or NIFC-CA network to extend the reach of Sea Viper (or long naval range SAMs).

Again, don't take this as 'snake oil' regurgitation - just a couple of observations from talking to people far smarter than me (and without a vested interest in HAV). Food for thought anyhow.

Genghis - beer sometime to discuss Optica (or other aviation topics) sounds good.

As always, welcome a thread like this with illuminating discussion.