PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 2nd Apr 2016, 08:23
Agrajag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are actually flying now in the half wound back Dick Smith system. yes the airspace that you " are pretty happy with"

As Bloggs points out the only reason we have the present system is because I removed the 700 FS officers so all pilots could have direct communication with ATC and radar where there was coverage.

The plan was to move to the proven safe North American system. This system does not allow VFR pilots to make announcements on ATC separation frequencies. This is for obvious safety reasons.
Does anyone else see the contradiction here?

FS was removed so we could speak directly to the controller by being on his frequency, but we shouldn't do so because it would be unsafe.

Your regular example of this alleged problem is the Sydney departures frequency used by parachutists, Harbour Scenics etc Yet you will know the same thing as the rest of us who fly the jets so threatened by this activity: the time we spend in that sector is a few minutes at most, and I have never once been over-transmitted or had an ATC instruction blocked by them.

And another comment:

On my regular flights from Sydney to The Canberra area I pass over dozens of small strips in the Southern Highlands area . Some are quite busy on weekends. I have not heard one taxiing or circuit call on the Area frequency which I monitor because of the half wound back system requirements.
Dozens of unmarked yet busy strips in the Southern Highlands alone? And you had the time to spot this activity at all of them? I sense yet more exaggeration.

But in the remote case they do exist, and they are that busy, perhaps the owners should arrange to get them charted, so they can use a frequency other than ATC? Any place with that much traffic should be documented, for the safety of everyone in the area.