PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TECNAM P2012 Rollout
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2016, 23:39
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am curious about the engines. The IE2's were launched 7 years ago. I know things in GA move at a glacial pace but the much hyped up launch fizzled and the Lancair Evolution was the launch machine.

Today you can buy your Evolution with a choice of P&WC's kero burners and we know why.

The IE2 has been a dud so far. Mainly because of sensing etc I would expect. Does anyone have any real up to date info on them? The ones shown in a photo six months ago look vastly different to the one I saw at OSH many moons back.

The next thing I wonder about, in a day of "new & modern technology" why would you not use an intercooler and do it properly. Perhaps even use 8.5:1 compression ratio and a bit less boost, but intercooled so that the fuel efficiency is improved. I do get it that if you want 350HP for s/e ops and take-off and climb, the extra MP is required, but why not do things smarter all round?

The fuel burn difference in a commercial operation of a twin could be significant. Lets hope they have done that. This could be a game changer for GA.

Any guesses where the IE2 operates in the cruise?