PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Germanwings crash: Have cockpit doors changed?
Old 1st Apr 2016, 17:19
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has really upset some pilot's egos hasn't it?
Nah, i believe that is not the real issue. It is just that pilots (and surprisingly cabin crew as well) believe that this "solution" doesn't solve the problem at all. In fact it does actually introduce new risks and much easier attack vectors. After all now everybody knows that you just need to apply to a temporary worker agency and four weeks later you are guaranteed a seat on the flight deck with just a very superficial background check. Easy enough for anyone, just train on MS Flightsim how to program an FMCG and it won't surprise me when some aircraft on approach to frankfurt just pitches down and slightly to the right and boom, the ECB is gone (not that that would be any loss).

Not to mention that pilots refuse to drink because cabin crew often do not have time when it is needed, effectively dehydrating themselves which leads to severely reduced performance. And of course, if toilet breaks are finally done, the door will be open much longer, more often and the airplane monitoring between the dance to the loo and at least one ass on a pilot seat (more isn't needed, after all george takes care of business, right?) isn't really all that great either.

There was no need for that beforehand, after all we do not need cabin crew to identify anyone who wants into the flightdeck, the video picture is right there on the displays. Yes, the new system might prevent another germanwings, or it might not, everyone knows that there will be someone, and how to disable them if needed. Either electrocute them (we do need powersupplies for our EFBs after all), use the crashaxe or any number of other means available.

Basically, it (slightly) plugs one hole, and opens up quite a number of other ones.