PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2016, 16:47
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies Squawk

My reply did seems a bit vehement in it's content. A bit more background for you..........

The ASW19 came as part of the original purchase of 10 x K21 (Vanguard TX1 in ACO service) and was called the Valiant TX1. It was specifically purchased for advanced solo/competition environments. The K23 would have been a better buy if you wanted something for low experience pilots to fly and consolidate solo in, but frankly that was never the goal of the ACO who followed the sensible policy of many civilian clubs and sent the first student solo in the front seat of the two seater the student learned in (the Viking). Since the goal of the ACO was Proficiency standard (1 solo only - although originally 3 solos) there was never a real need for anything other than the Two seaters used for the syllabus (Don't get me started on the Janus purchase). The 3 solo policy was reduced to 1 as I understand because there was a fear that the student might get too 'cocky' on the second or third solo and get themselves into trouble with a wide or low circuit or a launch failure. As we all know the first solo is the safest flight you ever make.......................

The rush to get to glass meant that the K18 was never considered as the push was to get away from 'rag and tube' or 'sticks and rags'. IMHO the K18 would have suited the ACO well but by the time the fleet change was made the K18 was out of production and replaced by the K23 (which you have mentioned).

The decision to re-equip came about as I understand it due to a defence budget underspend and that made a load of cash available under the 'spend it or lose it regime' practised in the Government Departments. This gave cash for a 'root and branch' re-org in very short timeframes which saw the purchase and introduction of:
  • Van Gelder Winches (multi drum required to launch the heavier gliders)
  • 4 ton lorries (required to pull the heavier winches)
  • Tractors (to tow the heavier multi cables and spreader bar required to stop cables crossing on tow out)
    Changes in Licences to enable staff to drive heavy lorries and tractors
  • Approx 10 x K21 Vanguards (later cancelled as supplier unable/unwilling to supply)
  • 2 x Janus C two seater advanced soaring and cross-country trainers (flappped)
  • Approx 90 Vikings (to replace Cadet MK3 & T21)
  • 5 x ASW19 Valiants (for advanced solo and competitions to replace Swallow TX1)
  • Approx 50 Grob 109b Motorgliders (Vigilant TX1 to replace Venture T2 Motogliders)
  • Introduction of White Fleet Landrovers to replace the old Landrovers which were deemed unsafe for the carriage of passengers/Cadets
  • Introduction of Central Glider Maintenance Flight at Syerston (to replace Mobile Glider Servicing Parties at various UK Locations)
  • Introduction of Glass Fibre Bay at Syerston run by Soaring Oxford to repair Vikings
  • Introduction of 'Maintenance Contract' with Third Party SERCO to replace RAF staff who were deemed unable to maintain the GRP Gliders............

Quite a lot of changes in short order !! (Planned or 'cause and effect' I am not sure - you decide )

Hope this helps

Arc