PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitch trim - poorly understood?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2016, 09:36
gonebutnotforgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own up to being the author of the original article quoted by FGD135 at the start of the thread. I apologise to him if I didn't make myself totally clear about what happens when the pitch trim is moved while still holding the column forward or aft at a constant force; the forces do not change (though as has been pointed out by others in extreme situations when as hec7or says the Stall management/Yaw damper system may intervene, so everything may well feel different - I've never been there). I had hoped the message was clear enough without inelegant repetition. I am pleased that this little article has caused some head scratching, which is exactly what it was intended to do. The Big Lesson was meant to be 'Know your control system'. Sadly far too many people, including especially the trainers who should know better, don't think it through thoroughly. I hope people read the whole article and reflect on the other situations I quote and think what they would do. I note Sciolistes' view that this is all a storm in a teacup... I wish it were, but I continue to see examples of crew actions that show understanding could be improved.