PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2016, 19:31
roverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delta/Virgin at MAN

Delta didn't really drop the MAN-ATL route they passed it over to their equity partner Virgin, who could no doubt operate it at lower cost. The aircraft is arguably on the large side at 266 seats but loads have been fairly good, I think. If the frequency is reduced to 5-weekly that would be a shame but it is probably due to the A330 fleet utilisation not just at MAN but also at LHR because they rotate the fleet, I believe. It could be that to operate the 5 new flights per week from MAN next year (SFO & BOS) would trigger a requirement for an additional aircraft for which there is insufficient work presently, or one is simply not available (TCXs problem!). I am speculating here, but hoping and expecting that any reduction in the ATL frequency will be transient and resolved as new aircraft are delivered. On the broader DL/VS front, Delta have just upped capacity on MAN-JFK by switching to the B767-300 from B757-200, about another 50 seats per day each way, so there is more capacity overall into the DL hubs from MAN. I think it has been suggested on this forum that the future might see Virgin operate everything out of MAN including the JFK. It's getting nearer the point where a full MAN base, with flight crew as well as cabin, could be favourable. It would be a shame to lose the Delta tail from MAN but if it's better for the growth of Atlantic services then so be it.