PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia to be privatised ?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2016, 17:35
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent86
Funny ... I guess code share with Etihad to most ports in Europe, Singapore airlines to most ports in Asia, and Delta to most ports in USA aren't the same as QF code shares with Emirates
I think the point was that QF has membership of a major alliance (oneworld) and thus has codeshares everywhere whereas VA is relying on selected carriers and ownership partners. So what about EY, the flight is often late (not EY's fault apparently, it's to do with an ATC congestion out of AUH... but when the flight arrives late, apparently SABRE is dysfunctional in terms of transferring passengers or there are problems with who 'owns' the booking, etc.).
These problems DO NOT exist in other alliances. Jesus, QF had this sorted with BA, AA, etc. in the 90's, it's not rocket science, just requires the correct systems and processes and a realisation it's a whole industry not just the other airlines having to play by VA's rules. There are other issues as well, I've heard from some passengers that they check in then get to the gate and they're not on the flight so have to sit somewhere else, a seat they didn't want.
I really think what VA need is someone like NZ or DL to take full ownership who will shake the crap out of it and implement the right processes and systems and have the will to say get lost to those who don't agree.
There appears to be reading between the lines, a lot of 'pre-conceptions' amongst VA management and many of these are wrong and stops the airline clicking into place with partners... this is anecdotal of course, just based on talking to people in the industry. I gather part of it seems to be a) insufficient capability in systems to deal with disruption and b) the tools not at the coalface in comparison with, say, QF where most disruption management is automated and/or available to the coalface and requires 2-3 clicks and all passengers are re-accommodated on first available flights. I haven't used their systems so I don't know for sure but that certainly seems to be the centre of a lot of problems. Anyway, it would certainly be interesting to be on the inside and know what is true and what is rumour. It does say a lot for the media though, they have been fawning all over the CEO for years and totally ignored the realties because of jazzy TV commercials, etc.