PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2016, 17:05
All names taken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also I should add that the chaos that surrounds the entrance to security at T1 departures has become unacceptable and will only get worse this summer.

With the short distance between the central entrance to the terminal and security area there is an in-built problem that can't be fixed without major investment - therefore not worth it if the whole lot is being dropped.

So people enter the terminal dragging their bags and stop immediately to view the screens right beside the entrance to security. These people get in the way of people trying to enter security. If you are lucky the TCX and EZY check in areas won't be so backed up that they snake in to the same area but then you have the 'oo er what do I have to do now?' folks who are afraid to walk past the plastic bag wavers without a bit of an ass-lick. That causes bottle necks too.

Then you have the entrance to the rear check in (Star Alliance) also in the immediate vicinity. As you walk towards this, you are also met with a tide of people coming towards you from the ground level check in through the narrow doors.

There are generally counter flows of bag dragging pax and choke points all over this area. It all smacks of an Indian Sub-Continent experience to be honest.
Quite how it was allowed to come to this before the major new investment was announced is completely beyond me. But then again I only use it every week so what the hell do I know?

Worth pointing out that Terminal 1 on it's own is the biggest airport outside London.