PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of airline flying?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2016, 15:53
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's not good, racism on a ship. It's not like you can even escape it I'd imagine. I always thought a lot of different nationalities worked on vessels, Fillipino, Malaysian and European so suprised as its a multi cultural job. Are you on a UK staffed ship or a ship with lots of Eastern Europeans/Russian crew? I've a friend in the Merchant Navy. He mentioned the East Euro crewed ships can be a hard time when training due language barriers amongst other things. He trained 15 years ago aboard British Ships.

This one ship doesn't represent the entire picture and it's safety culture. Are you stuck with the one company or are you training with a company that places you with different companies for you sea training? If so, maybe worth a quiet word with your training manager re the hard time bit and see of they can stick you on a different vessel. You're there to learn, not be bullied. Its not the 1800s.

Have you seen this forum for cadets? Maybe useful. I see there's an anonymous bit to ask advice on sensitive matters.

OfficerCadet.com