PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2016, 07:28
roverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of points to follow up recent postings.

First: un-served or poorly-served destinations in Europe. Nice is the one I should have mentioned, not Lyon. A friend with French family connections says he makes the trip several times a year and mostly has to go from LPL due to the ad hoc seasonal nature of Jet 2's schedule from MAN. He adds that the LPL flight is full of 'Manchester people'. I would have thought MAN-NCE is a year round bet and ripe for FlyBe.

Second: Virgin picks up where TCX dropped out. The 2017 addition of SFO and increased service to BOS which was planned by TCX and now taken up by Virgin. The reasons for TCX changing their mind may well be to do with aircraft availability, and we don't know for how long Virgin have been planning the new routes or indeed whether the two developments are related. Nevertheless it underlines a theme which is the essence of MAN - that no airline attains a dominant position. Just as TCX were nearing a critical mass on USA services they pause, and another long-term but slow-growing airline moves up a notch to balance things out. There is no other airport like MAN in the UK, or in Europe as far as I can gather, without the flag carrier and in the 25M pax p.a. range.