PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitch trim - poorly understood?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2016, 14:46
xollob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hec7or - your post is really interesting.

I posted this extract from the B737-800 FCOM in R & N but it was largely ignored,
During high AOA operations, the Stall Management/Yaw Damper (SMYD) reduces yaw damper commanded rudder movement. The EFS module increases hydraulic system A pressure to the elevator feel and centering unit during a stall. This increases forward control column force to approximately four times normal feel pressure. The EFS module is armed whenever an inhibit condition is not present. Inhibit conditions are: on the ground, radio altitude less than 100 feet and autopilot engaged. However, if EFS is active when descending through 100 feet RA, it remains active until AOA is reduced below approximately stickshaker threshold. There are no flight deck indications that the system is properly armed or activated.
the crucial part is the increase in control column force provided by the EFS Module by increasing system A pressure to the feel and centering unit which IMO could result in the PF over trimming. What is not clear to me, is if the feel force is increased, will the aircraft feel more out of trim than it actually is?
I would love to know the answer to that one, potentially in the low speed high AOA option the pilots recovering from it and maybe the effects of those quick blips on the trim having a magnified effect..... especially if it is combined with any possible thought process of use the trim if not getting full authority using elevators only !