PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitch trim - poorly understood?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2016, 13:30
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Great stuff, Bloggs, and I am "in the zone" with you and defacto.

I did not intend to diminish the experience and knowledge of defacto, and should have said "waiting for MORE heavy pilots to add to the thread".

Interesting to find use of a "bellows" equivalent to our older fighter flight controls that used them to keep us from ripping the wings off when snatching on the stick.

As far as flying using the trim, I think I understand your position Bloggs. Our problem is that some of the FCS trim implementations move the stab so much that we have almost no elevator authority. The bloggers on the AF447 thread that had sim time and tried to duplicate the deeply stalled, and trimmed stab used very positive manual trim and then 15,000 feet to regain control!!

Back to my question: the trim gains are a function of BOTH the autopilot mode AND the configuration, right?

And BTW, are there indicators that let the pilot know the current trim position of the stab/ailerons/rudder? I am assuming the trim implentation moves the stab to reduce yoke/stick forces required to maintain an attitude or AoA and does not "position" the elevator.