PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bit of a barney with ATC today, what would you have done?
Old 30th Mar 2016, 09:46
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have thought about this posting and think piper boy has inadvertently opened up a discussion which should highlight an area which is often disregarded but can have disasterous results and that is departures in mountainous areas with vital climb gradient requirements
Frankly ok he was a naughty boy not checking the departure requirements and taking a turn without permission but we all make mistakes and I am sure he won't make that one again
Even ATC make mistakes
I remember flying IFR in IMC into Bilbao and being cleared in the descent to below the MSA which I rejected and then got an apology(
But this is about big mountain flying something we are not used to in the UK and weather considerations become part of the decision making including severe downdraughts especially in low powered singles or light twins
I don't know if anyone has flown into LJLJ with a 10,000 foot mountain on the side of the runway ?
But PPLs also hold IRs and while this flight was VFR it highlights the dangers of flying limited performance light aircraft in IFR IMC conditions and climb gradients
Where CFIT accidents were highlighted in the USA in extra training and awareness

Seeing the terrain is no big shakes not seeing the terrain because you are IMC or also dealing with sinking air is another much more serious threat
So for me this fairly mild mistake highlights a potential much more serious consideration

Pace