PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - derated take off during Engine failure
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2016, 09:24
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The discussion was interesting for many reasons including how poorly and perfunctorily performance is trained.

Yonks ago, when I flew the PA-31 Navajo, Beech 90 & HS-125 there were no sims and type ratings were done on a/c. Thus we stalled them for real and did engine out on departure for real. Note, this was at a safe height with & without flaps. The PA-31 was interesting as you had to descend until the dead donk was feathered. What we also did was fly back to VMCA. This gave me a much better understanding of the reality of what was before just an answer in a theoretical CPL exam. Since then, during numerous Boeing type ratings it has never been introduced into initial training in the sim. No wonder these newbies don't have a clue. It is a definition they might with luck remember, and if they do, it will be spouted with little understanding. Meanwhile they still do access/decel to/from VMo with/without speed brakes - yawn, and other not quite so educational manoeuvres that have been there for decades. Even the 'turns - unto 45 degrees - is a minimum handling manoeuvre. I still advocate the No FD aerial ballet with a smooth combination of turns, climbs, descents, speed changes and angle of bank changes. It teaches feel, use of thrust & trim, control deflection and also where to scan. It takes 20 mins, is great fun and the student learns a more about the a/c than many other mandatory manoeuvres.
And why is UAP recovery something left to airline RST programs which might be glossed over in a trice and not done for 3 years after type rating? Let's get some priority in type rating training.

Last edited by RAT 5; 30th Mar 2016 at 12:36.