PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL
Thread: PPL
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2016, 07:48
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I'll add to the voices - do not pay large sums up front - large well regarded schools have gone bust - many of them. Don't be impressed by brands, longevity or literature. Just don't. I was working in another job at Cranfield when Cabair went bust and saw the damage done to so many young people with huge debts, most of which they didn't see back in either flying hours or cash.

Hi, Im also considering getting a ppl before applying to major flight schools, does anyone know of the cheapest places or cheapest way to get the licence? e.g hourly blocks or a lump sum.
Buy your books, headset, and planning tools on eBay. The only book you probably want to buy new is air law (and your charts of course). Don't buy a flash flight bag - something off the local market for a tenner - or frankly a 75p Sainsbury's heavy duty carrier bag is fine.

Do your PPL in the UK - dedicating time to it, with at-least two lessons a week, as that's where you'll be going your CPL course most likely and you'll need that skill. Do your hour building abroad, most likely the USA where you can rent far cheaper - if possible do your night there too. Always turn up to lessons prepared, know your way around the aeroplane and its manuals backwards and early.

Do your ATPL groundschool distance learning - there are several providers, all good.

Whilst hourbuilding work hard on flying as well and accurately as possible, over long trips, building experience. Do everything the old fashioned way - have a GPS by all means for backup and to monitor how well you flew, but do not make a habit of using it during hourbuilding.

When you do your CPL, do it with a good UK school (again, there are several to choose from), in the summer when the weather will be best - so least lesson postponements, one lesson a day, with the time blocked off so there are no distractions. Always have those lessons early in the day if you can. Have NOTHING else in your diary for that whole time.

Ditto then your ME/IR. When doing that, have access to a procedural simulator - a PC with add-ons and something like RANT will do well enough, and practice-practice-practice.

And, of course, I SAY AGAIN, DO NOT PAY LARGE SUMS UP FRONT.

G