PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2016, 22:01
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by glad rag
As for this thread, why the hell shouldn't people question the acquisition management of the airframe and the actual capability it may (or may never) bring?
Done, and done, and freaking glue.

If you'll bother to read the title of this thread, which began about six years ago, the F-35 still isn't cancelled. Some orders either have been, or will be soon, due to the two problem that NOBODY disagrees with:
a) late (in terms of schedule and program objectives)
b) pricy, even in terms of original price point and some of the usual (and almost reasonable) cost growth that all new programs seem to have. That "reasonable level" left the barn a while back.

A personal aside: I am glad that my extremely small involvement with the JSF program was done with in 2003. We were working the training and readiness side, and basing priorities (while BRAC was still in fing progress). Some of our projects included Environmental Impact Statements and addressing how loud the engine is compared to the Hornet and how angry the fing fruitbats in California would be with a noisy jet engine. At the time, the EIS had to do with the area near NAS Lemore, one of the garden spots of the San Joaquin valley.
The problems with a litany of airframe and mission systems weren't even on the table at that point. (In retrospect: if I'd have had the stomach for it, maybe I should have gone all in on that program when I retired as it seems to be a neverending source of funding and jobs ... somewhere)
When I handed over my box of folders and notes to a another staff section it was like taking the most satisfying dump in a lifetime.

Delivered capability: it is interesting to note that the USAF has almost two full squadrons delivered and they are in their usually thorough operational testing and tactics development program.
We don't actually know what's inside that box.
I have no idea if this 5th gen fighter will eventually do as the F-18, prove to be a fine edition to the order of battle, or if it will be a time and money sink for its entire life.
Maybe a mix of both.
Regardless of that future, the political decision to only fund a one size fits all strike fighter aircraft has long since been made so that we, in the US, are going to dance with this girl at the prom since she's the only date who is available for the dance. For better AND for worse.

If you can't be with the one you love, brother, love the one you're with. (See Stephen Stills, Buffalo Springfield).

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 29th Mar 2016 at 22:17.