PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2016, 18:31
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomson long haul

The incident with Boeing 767-324, G-OOBK occurred on 3 October 2010. Thomson continued to operate this type of aircraft at BRS for the following three summers on weekly charter flights to Florida and Mexico, ceasing at the end of summer 2013. The former First Choice B 767s that operated the route were to be withdrawn from the fleet in summer 2014.

The AAIB report can be accessed via the below link.

https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...OOBK_05-12.pdf

The report's conclusion was as follows:

Damage to the fuselage occurred as a result of rapid de-rotation of the aircraft following a hard landing on the main landing gear. The runway profile, nuisance GPWS alerts and the meteorological conditions may have influenced the landing.

I'm in no way qualified to pass any judgement on the type of aircraft that should or should not land at any airport. You may be in which case you have the advantage over me.

However, I can find nothing in the AAIB report that recommends that this type of aircraft should not use BRS and, as a member of the public, I can only rely on the result of investigation by qualified people who had first hand knowledge of all the evidence in this particular case.

Given that UK airlines are regulated by the CAA, and airlines like Thomson Airways have highly qualified technical staff in their employment, I find it hard to believe that such an airline would operate its aircraft at places it didn't think was safe to do so.