PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bit of a barney with ATC today, what would you have done?
Old 29th Mar 2016, 16:54
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit of a barney with ATC today, what would you have done?
Was cleared for TO from 27 at Granada today departing via the W VRP( located on top of a mountain) it was hot and I was heavy ( at gross)realised during the climb that I didn't fancy continuing making straight for the mountain so turned about 15 degrees left ATC insisted I turn back on heading, I refused and explained that I wasn't happy with the clearance I would achieve and asked for an alternative departure route, she said it was a W departure I was given and it is W departure I shall fly, Told her "no can do and I ain't flying into a mountain to keep her happy" she was pissed off and handed me off to a radar service early to get rid of me. . There was only one other aircraft in the area a guy practicing ILS approaches that was nowhere near me.

I suppose I should have done my calcs prior to take off but didn't . What wild u have done ?

That was the original post:

PrivateJet wrote:
As the captain of the aircraft YOU are responsible for the safe conduct of a flight, and you are perfectly entitled to question or deviate from any clearance or instruction from ATC if you believe the safety of the flight is or potentially will be comprimised.
I think we would all agree with the sentiment (if not the spelling) there. What I can't figure out is how you can reconcile the safe conduct of the flight with a deliberate contradiction of an agreed service in controlled airspace involving sarcastic dialogue on the R/T.

Turning is certainly better than crashing, but communication, early on, is vital. If you had caused a loss of separation, how is that better than asking for an alternative? She might have been able to turn you in the opposite direction without any conflict. While you have the "best view" of the scenery, from the cockpit, the controller usually has a better "over view" of the situation.