PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA in the news Important Urgent - Insight on SBS on Thursday night
Old 18th Jul 2003, 15:35
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, Creamie, I was amending my post as you posted your reply. This is what I added:

"Prundle appears to have forgotten the allegations that were made against him by operators who said that he was vindictive. Just ask John McMillan (now Commonwealth Ombudsman), among others."

Regarding your statement above, please stick to the facts, which can't be published here. (I highlighted your word "allegations" as the "allegations" were not proven.) In the matter you alude to, Prundle's actions appear entirely appropriate and justified, which was the Ombudsman's findings. It is not appropriate for any pilot - even an FOI - to fly an aircraft knowing two AD's were outstanding.

Ah, yes, our Caravan engine failure and the Director of CASA flying the aircraft on another occasion.

I'm actually please you raised those points:

1 The PT6A-114A engine was being maintained totally in accordance with Pratt & Whitneys requirements to use "pottable water" for compressor washes. It wasn't until a subsequent laboratory test of the Horn Island water supply that it was found to contain totally unacceptable levels of heavy metals and silica. Yes, I'm guilty. But didn't the pilot do a great job landing at Badu! We had the first beach side Caravan park in the Torres Strait!

2 CASA investigators found the Director not guilty. It was a private flight, he occupied the right hand seat, the left hand seat was occupied by a pilot who held endorsement and training and checking approvals and for good measure, the Chief Pilot, a Grade 1 Instructor and type endorsed, sat between the two pilots. I was also in the second row, chatting to the journo. Yes, the landing was a bit of a thumper, but not classified a heavy landing. And the Director and I had a great heart to heart chat on that remote island!

Creamie, you have a great weekend. I may yet send you that card next Christmas!