PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA FO Fails Breathalyzer, Arrested
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2016, 14:49
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those options and programs are moot for those pilots who report for flight duty intoxicated.
HIMS has helped pilots in this exact scenario.
We get the HIMS presentation in yearly training. In recent years we've been told that once you report, you can't get any protection from prosecution and termination through HIMS.

Anecdotally, there have been incidents where the pilot was impaired, saw that they were going to be tested, and 'disappeared' to the loo or elsewhere to make a cell phone call to HIMS before actually blowing over the limit. Since they had voluntarily 'come for help' some of the legal and employment consequences are mitigated pending successful completion of HIMS treatment.

After the Fargo incident Northwest's policy was that you could come down to the altar and say you wanted to enter HIMS anytime before the completion of the Before Start Checklist. Nowadays the goal post, or should I say foul line, is much closer to the security checkpoint in the U.S. from what I see.

Strange, one FO failed alco test and drugs test, after turning up for duty for a European company, and he was allowed to resign without further action. I found that appaling.
I've always claimed that this sort of deal was not uncommon in past cases where there was little public knowledge of the testing or results.

A recent thread here discussed the case of an Alaska Airlines pilot who was allowed to retire after blowing over the limit. Homeland Security recently filed a criminal complaint nearly two years later and he may be facing a plea deal for prison time.