PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ownership of risk
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2016, 11:54
Aurora Australis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ownership of risk

Hi,
As a Falkland Islands resident, I am interested in trying to understand the reasons for what seems to be a significant change in the operating rules for fixed wing operations into Mt Pleasant Airport over the last year or so.

Some background info for those unfamiliar with the location -
Mt Pleasant Airport was opened in 1985 as a military airfield, and is also the Islands only International airport. It was built in a location that generally has the best weather on East Falkland with respect to cloud base and visibility. The 2000' East-West range of hills just to the North of the field shelter it from low cloud and fog that often affect the North and Northeast coast. The most frequent strong winds are westerly, however the next most common direction is Northerly, and this often results in what is referred to as "rotor streaming", with associated moderate to severe turbulence, and potentially limiting crosswinds.

For thirty years, this did not seem to cause major issues with the regularity of the international flights to the islands. (There are two MoD flights a week from UK via Ascension Island, and one a week from Punta Arenas, Chile, plus various other charter flights). There were occasional delays when extreme Northerlies were forecast, but as far as I understand it, the decision to operate a specific flight was a crew decision.

For about a year or so, the airfield has regularly and frequently been officially closed to all fixed wing traffic whenever there is any turbulence forecast (including P30 Tempo) and the forecasts also seem to have become far more cautious, with the forecast turbulence often not actually appearing.
This has caused significant delays on an almost weekly basis, and has been applied on a very rigid basis, apparently purely on the forecast rather than the actual.

I can understand not departing Ascension for an 8 hour sector with limited alternates if doubt exists. However, I find it surprising that, for instance, the LanChile flight has been refused due to airfield closure rather than allowing it to make its own judgement based on actual at time of arrival (including one time when they were turned back with only about 20 minutes to run). Also, the Oil exploration charter flight was on more than one occasion barred from departing MPA due to airfield closure based on forecast, when the actuals were absolutely fine.

I have heard that the change in rules has something to do with a change in the military rules on "Ownership of risk" (an expression I had not heard before), and that the Ownership used to rest with the aircraft crew, but now rests with the Commander Air Wing, or Station Commander of the military airfield.
MPA cannot be the only airfield affected by such turbulence. At other such locations, are things handled differently? Is this a difference between Civ and Mil, or a difference between Falklands and everywhere else?

There must be a lot of people here who have operated these routes - would you be glad/relieved that the decision is taken out of your hands, or would you want to have the option to make your own decision?

Last edited by Aurora Australis; 31st Mar 2016 at 11:06.