PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA in the news Important Urgent - Insight on SBS on Thursday night
Old 18th Jul 2003, 14:35
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah, Creamie, just when I was beginning to tolerate your presence on this forum (and even thinking of sending you a Chrissie card this year), you want to pick another argument!

This forum is not the place to comment on, or name individuals, however, I’ve been in competition with Prundle in his commercial operation days (in the 1980’s), and been subject to his regulatory management in his CASA days (late 1990’s). He was always a worthy competitor and a competent and honest regulator.

I am aware of times he made the hard “administrative decisions” in CASA and can only suggest his actions at that time appear to have been fair and justified. I have never known him to be vindictive, but of course, are not aware of every decision he made.

"Prundle appears to have forgotten the allegations that were made against him by operators who said that he was vindictive. Just ask John McMillan (now Commonwealth Ombudsman), among others."

Regarding the above, please stick to the facts, which can't be published here. In the matter you alude to, Prundle's actions were entirely appropriate, which was the Ombudsman's findings. It is not appropriate for any pilot - even an FOI - to fly an aircraft knowing two AD's were outstanding.

I found his brief period as FNQ Regional Manager was a period of concise regulatory management by an experienced professional aviator. It’s unusual to find a CASA employee so skilled in use of the words “Yes” or "No”.

I am also aware he never had a good word to say about your lot in Canberra and think he may have been justified. Perhaps this is the reason for your attitude towards him? However, he never generalised about Canberra staff, some of whom he respected for their professional qualifications, achievements and decisions.

At least he didn’t pull the engine in a C208B at 300 ft AGL on take off into rising terrain from RW 08 at Horn Island, as another FOI did! It was only the skill of the pilot that enabled that FOI to survive and still work for CASA today.

Incidentally, are you suggesting the SBS program had no merit or basis in fact?

Perhaps you and I should simply agree to disagree.

Last edited by Torres; 18th Jul 2003 at 15:18.