PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2016, 08:43
Aluminium shuffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bsieker, I did not claim that the elevators split, I said the Capt column is connected to the left elevator and the Fo's to the right. That is to get around any jam in the control runs, not just the column. The torque tube between the elevators will move both together, regardless of which column is used. The cables have springs to allow the surface to move off one input while the other is jammed.

As for what happens if the elevator jams completely, silvertate, you fly it on the stabiliser and thrust. It isn't easy, but it should be completely manageable for any commercial pilot. I have done that too in the NG sim, with a simulated impossible, or at least incredibly unlikely, total jam of all roll and elevator control (both columns) - the aircraft is quite controllable on stab trim and rudder. I even had a go (for play, not assessed) at a loss of all flight controls in the box, not being allowed to touch any flight controls from 400 feet on take off. It was perfectly possible to fly the aircraft on thrust alone (no trim, flap or rudder as well as column), like Sioux City - I was given calm and CAVOK, so didn't have to contend with any weather, but I was surprised at how easy it was to land on the runway centreline, in the touchdown zone, and stop it on the runway on the first (only) attempt. The FO managed to do a controlled landing on the runway too, when he had a go at the same.

Furthermore, the 737Max has the same flight control system, the sole difference being the mechanical aileron - spoiler mixer unit being replaced by a flybywire unit that replicates the mechanical one with less weight. So, the system does meet modern certification requirements and in my opinion has more redundancy than any other airliner in current service.