PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PhD graduate in Aerospace Engineering looking for advice on CV building for MPLs
Old 28th Mar 2016, 21:45
Robberine89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PhD graduate in Aerospace Engineering looking for advice on CV building for MPLs

Hi guys,

I will share some of the advice that has bee given to me already in this post and not just ask for it, since I feel this should be both give and take.

Firstly a bit about me: I am 26 and recently finished a PhD working on coatings for turbine blades for the new Trent XWB engines. It was a real eye opener and got me thinking about aviation and specifically flying as a career. I have 2 hours flight experience in a 172 and absolutely loved both flights. Ive got 4 more hours booked and have been working through some PPL theory. I am fortunate I have around 50k of savings which would help towards funding more flying hours or around half of an MPL programme. I applied to ATC at uni (both at undergrad and post grad level) but was turned down partly becuase I had no flying experience. I do also have work experience (investment banking) and quite a bit of volunteering experience under my belt. I really want to spend the next few months getting the right experience that will help me fulfill my ambition and stand a good chance of getting onto one of the MPLs (along with so many other candidates I know).

Im looking specifically at the Virgin and BA ab initio programmes and have a few months to prepare. Having spoken to a pilot at BA he recommended that I get a solo flight under my belt with perhaps 20 hours flight time too. Also a class 1 medical and ideally some time in a sim if possible. What about work experience? What about taking PPL theory exams? Im booked in for the class 1 medical and a flight sim at Elstree aerodrome but this is really only a groupon voucher. Im flying with Cambridge aeroclub and they have sims there but I think by also doing that the cost is just going to shoot upward.

Many thanks