PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Mar 2016, 18:06
huge72

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Dougie's story reminds me of an incident that happened at Bardufoss in early 89. I was No 2 ALM on the trip still relatively new to the fleet and beginning to enjoy it after several years rotary. After dropping our load of marines we taxied out to take off, began the run and then aborted due to an engine problem, so taxied back in. After the GE and Eng played with the problem and a quick eng run we taxied out for another go. Same thing happened so we taxied back in with thoughts of night stop!!!! As we shut down a Norwegian who had been in the follow me vehicle brought us loads of melted rubber and it appeared that the Port mainwheels had locked and the friction caused the ice to melt turn to steam and off came the tread. Call to Lye Ops and not only were we to get the engine parts but 2 mainwheels s well. The next day our rescue flight came in and the other loadie J**** O**** and I went to meet it. The Loadie on the other aircraft, one of our Female brethren was a little stuck off loading the bomb trolly with the wheels on, so ever gallant we offered to do it for her. J had control of the winch and I had the heavy end. Using dunnage to clear the ramp hinge we lowered the ramp from horizontal. Toe ramps fitted, Norwegian mover on the chock I gave it a shove!! Oops we had left the handle on the winch the chock man jumped clear and it whistled off the ramp trailing the cable behind it and buried itself in a snowdrift. We sheepishly rolled up the cable returned it to the young female loady and pushed our wheels to our aircraft. I never did hear what was said by the rollies at Lyneham. But I certainly learn't about off loading from that.