PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying. Low hour co-pilots. Automation dependency.
Old 28th Mar 2016, 13:40
BlunderBus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
low time right seat

I have no problem at all with the cadet training setup..most legacy carriers utilize it. Where I have an issue is what occurs in the interim. The pairing of new 'low time' line crews,who in my opinion are now grossly undertrained,leading to situations where two or more are in charge or with a weary single high time Captain on 3 man ops is asking for trouble. Luck will eventually run out. I'm not trying to offend anyone here but situations such as crashes in the atlantic,caribbean,and egypt for example,with limited panel loss of control are undeniable examples of automation not 'saving the day'.
It simply will not work combining low time..poor training..no oversight..budget cutting..and totally irresponsible rostering are just stacking the odds against us.
This company has been incredibly lucky and continue to turn a deaf ear..The front line pilots and trainers try to maintain standards and self-police fatigue but time is running out.
"I told you so" will soon be ringing in their ears..
Yes I know...they still won't listen..or they'll blame the crew..business as usual.