PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Map reading techniques.. what do you use and does it work?
Old 18th Jul 2003, 09:32
Sheep Guts
Props are for boats!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit direct go to..................................

No only Kidding..

Well first off make sure your WAC is amended, make sure you have all the VEC, VTCs and PCA Charts current.

Draw you track and work out you time intervals dependant on winds etc, after getting an upto date forcast.

Actual map reading in an aircaft is the reverse of what it says. Dont look at the map and then look outside to interpret where you are. You can come to conclusions too quickly. Look outside first then, take in all the features as HA has said, then interpret the map. Use accurate time keeping and adjust your estimates every so often with position fixes. This will keep your estimates up to date and youll have an idea where you should be, if you have trouble interpreting the terrain as depicted on the Map.

This method works at all altitudes. Its obviously better at high altitudes with good vis. But works just aswell at low level navs where time keeping is the essence. Maintain heading, Altitude, and time keeping will put you in the general area everytime. And youll be surprised how accurate it is.

Ithink it all comes down to experience and confidence in Deduced Reckoning. When I first tried it in Central Australia I wasnt confident until I proved it with my Instructor, and he proved it too.

Try going Hodgsen River to Birrimba at 500 agl in a C182. I did it and it proved me that DR is as allways aproven method.

Have fun dont get lost out there guys

Regards
Sheep

P.S. If you use 10 mile markers, 20 mile markers it desnt matter. But dont forget the 1:60 rule for drift.