PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 28th Mar 2016, 08:51
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Mr Approach. The prime reason we don't have lots of zero extra cost Unicoms like the USA and Canada is that most pilots including those at CASA don't believe they are necessary for safety. They believe calling in the blind is OK.

I was directly involved in AMATS and the original document promoted Unicoms and said lots would soon appear! Almost immediately there was a campaign to make sure a Unicom could not operate in the North American way That is non prescriptive giving traffic , weather and anything that may add to safety.

Our AFIS at Port Headland is a return to high cost traffic info that I removed. Same with the CAGRO. All adding to the cost problems that are effecting our industry.

Re Airspace. I have been fortunate fly as a GA pilot in every modern aviation country in the world. I have particularly studied airspace classifications and procedures over many years with an open mind. My plan was to pinch the best ideas for Australia. It's what I did in business allowing me to make a few dollars.

However I have found that many in the industry here have no interest at all in copying the best - or indeed copying anything! There minds are pretty well closed.

Love to talk in person to you some time about what I learnt !