PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots' fatigue investigation
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2016, 06:48
JAYTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do people think that fatigue is caused by crossing multiple time zones????

The reasons we are fatigued our both the companies fault and sometimes the crews fault.

How many times do you get to a destination where the local time is 6pm and the time in dubai is 4 am and people are "meeting downstairs in an hour to go for dinner"
Why do people insist on trying to acclimatise to a new time zone within the time we spend there???? Staying on Dubai time will help alleviate some of the fatigue.

The reason from the companies side are more. They state in the OMA section 7.2

"The avoidance of the scheduling rest periods of between 18 and 30 hours especially after long flights across many time zones"

What a crock of ****e this statement is, If they actually did that then the fatigue issues could be reduced as well. I would be spending less time sitting in an aircraft between the hours of 10pm and 6am, this is the fatiguing thing for me, not the crossing of time zones, Give me more time to rest between flights, give me more time at home to rest between flights, dont give me shared rest days. Your body does not rest between the hours of 8am and 6pm the same as it does during the times between 6pm and 4am, done treat it like it does. Dont treat this job as if its an office job, or if you want to then roster the office staff the same as me, lets see how long they last. Give me at least 2 periods a month with 4 or 5 days off in a row, dont roster me up the maximum because its just a hair on the side of legal. Do you drive your car at the rev limiter all the time, no, because there will be consequences. Fly your pilots at the limiter all the time and there will be consequences. Dont factor my flying, trying to rest inside an aircraft which is noisy and quite often experiencing turbulence is not normal rest and should not be treated as such. Include my days in the sim and doing groundschool towards my limits, why is this not included??????? you think spending 8 hours in a classroom or 4 hours in the sim does not contribute to overall fatigue. Dont roster me for 60 hours of flying in a 2 week period because I have 2 weeks of leave.........

All the above just goes to prove that its definitely schedule first and by no means safety.

J

Last edited by JAYTO; 28th Mar 2016 at 07:55.