PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 28th Mar 2016, 01:16
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Bloggs. Achieved nothing? You appear to like the beep back... I personally built the first one and moved it to the Jabiru factory in Bundaberg after the horrific incident on the 16 TH May 1997 where a professional air crew were on the wrong CTAF frequency in IMC on approach after using an out of date chart.

See ATSB report 199701646

For the next month professional pilots flying into Bundaberg complained about the beep blocking the frequency. Leroy Keith contacted me and asked me to remove the unit. I explained the beep was only 300 ms long and decided I would delay the removal until I could fly to Queensland again.. Yes. After a couple of months many airline pilots with lateral thinking minds said it should stay and the rest is history.

And the AMATS changes I brought in in 1992 saved our industry over $70 million per year and not one life has been lost because VFR are no longer forced to go full position reporting on flights of over 50nm.

That's $1.75 billion saved by our industry since then.