PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2016, 21:23
CBSITCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Failed_Scopie
CB, an absolutely fascinating first post; I would like to carry on this discussion via PM if that is okay with you? F_S.
F_S - I have the pleasure of spending Easter at one of the RAF’s more remote stations with limited internet and zero mobile data. In any case I am rather busy ‘commanding’ things at the moment. (This is my first chance to logon since my previous post.)

I signed-up just to make my point, because I feel strongly that it needs to be taken into account. How much of it is fact and how much anecdotal can easily be verified by those with access to the data.

I agree – and have experienced – how some lukewarm cadets can be stimulated and inspired by their first flight. But others will be put-off by the prospect of having to ‘sign-up’ to a long and highly structured course of training.

Perhaps it’s a bit like the QAIC. Many cadets would like to participate in most of the constituent parts in bite-sized chunks (I would!) but most are put off by the sheer ‘size’ of the whole package.

There will, in my view, always be a place for just a cheap and cheerful plain old GIC to catch the fancy of those cadets who are not already aviation-minded. Many will then become hooked and eager to get on the full-blown package.

CB