PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2016, 18:30
Lima Juliet

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts
Cat

Ok, I'll answer your question; we could used conventional gliders at the following closed down VGS:

RAF Honington - plenty of real estate there and nearby good 'ole Uncle Sam doesn't fly that much at weekends.

Dalton Barracks (former RAF Abingdon) - plenty of grass as well as 2 runways at ~90 degrees to each other

RAF Halton - plenty of room and the GSA winch launch to well above 1,000ft on most weekends.

RAF Henlow - plenty of room from 3 grass runways.

RAF Odiham - the RAFGSA's Kestrel Gliding Club manages quite nicely at this site.

RMB Chivenor - no other users now that SAR has gone, plenty of room.

RAF Cosford - the RAFGSA's Wrekin Gliding Club manages quite nicely at this site, although it does have a UAS/AEF operating at the same time.

MOD St Athan - plenty of room if using the grass and leaving the tarmac for UAS/AEF.

RAF Topcliffe - plenty of real estate for gliding.

Swansea Airport - the first one where this might not be possible.

RAF Linton-on-Ouse - plenty of room on the grass.

RMB Arbroath - they have been comventionally gliding there for years!!!

Kinloss Barracks (former RAF Kinloss) - there is even a main runway and a parallel taxyway runway to choose from and plenty of grass.

Newtownards - the second one that would be an issue.

So Cat, I note that conventional gliding would only not be possible at Swansea and Newtonards. For Wales I would suggest setting up K21 VGS at Llewen Parc, Talgarth or Rhigos Gliding Sites. For Northern Ireland then Bellarina is about the only choice, or seeing if there is a GA airfield happy to have gliding.

Make sense?

LJ