PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2016, 03:10
c4aero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VGS

For DaveUnwin,
I agree your point, but with a reservation. Many young people are as keen as mustard to fly; others do need a gentle push to overcome nervousness about flying. Others just want the associated syllabus ground work, and the high tech nature of 'Air'. We should accommodate all degrees of 'aerospace' aptitude and inclination, rather than think that all cadets want to fly. After all, many RAF folk love the service, but are not aircrew. They are still valued members of the Royal AIR Force.
On your gliding story, this would probably not happen too often on a busy Viking unit, and is even less likely on a Vigilant one. I would like to see greater opportunities in future for keen/capable cadets (and for that matter Instructors) to develop soaring skills through enrichment courses. Those who have flown on BGA sites have been able to do so.
I go back to an earlier point, but happy to be corrected by those closer to the front line: The Vigilant has given great service, but we have used it more like a light aircraft than a glider in ACO flying; the additional Tutors will partially replace this. The true gliding experience (winch, helping out on the ground etc) is best achieved on Vikings and similar. I get the locations point, and that not everyone will appreciate staying away from home; and the DIO activity is making relocation even more challenging. But we are where we are, and I continue to take a positive approach: let's get flying again.
Chris C