PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bit of a barney with ATC today, what would you have done?
Old 26th Mar 2016, 23:45
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Normal" SID's are designed in such a way that a climb gradient of 3,3 % (201 ft climb per nautical mile of distance) will keep you clear of all obstacles in the departure path.

Sometimes, in mountainous areas or for ATC-reasons, a bigger climb is necessary. If the required climb gradient is bigger then 3,3 %, this will be said in the SID procedure itself. For instance: 5,4 % climb required until passing a certain point. In this case if you were climbing at a groundspeed of 160 knots you would need a climb ratio of about 864 ft/min. (160 *5,4 (rule of thumb))

It is up to the pilot to insure that the aircraft performance can confirm to the SID gradient requirements before accepting the SID

There were some accidents due to failure to fly climb gradients and this caused the FAA to highlight the requirements in recurrent training
And of course IFR always ask for a turn to avoid but the point is you should not have been in that situation in the first place ))

It wouldn't go down very well with ATC if you accepted a SID with an aircraft which was not capable of meeting the SID requirements and then made a turn off the SID without asking them.

I go with G on this one

But you were IFR, Just imagine you climbed into solid cloud at 200 feet and were not visual with the terrain? That shows how serious meeting those climb gradients are as without ATC intervention and a warning on your altitude readout and track you would not have made the turn and flown straight into the mountain

Anyway its all a learning curve and if I think of all my mistakes you won't make it again

Last edited by Pace; 27th Mar 2016 at 07:13.