PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S76 Ditched in Nigeria today Feb 3 2016
Old 26th Mar 2016, 10:54
Copterline 103

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@gulliBell
Sikorsky are not going to write in a checklist "if the helicopter goes wildly out of control immediately switch off a hydraulic system, and if that doesn't work, switch off the other one".
Now we are closing the topic. How does the S76 helicopter fly? Now I don't mean the situation when the helicopter becomes suddenly unflyable. There should not be any malfunction identified which is not covered by the abnormal or an emergency check list. This is a basic certification requirement.

@gulliBell
This is what I would do if faced with this situation. I wouldn't even check if a servo light or master caution light or any other warning light is on, and I wouldn't even get out the checklist. Sometimes prioritization of common sense needs to over-ride strict compliance with procedure.

My understanding is that the commercial and the modern helicopter operation are based of the law, rules and the good industrial practices. The offshore operation under IFR is a multi crew operation where the crew coordination and cooperation is the ground for the safe, reliable and efficient operation.

It is very difficult to understand the attitude that if something catastrophically happens? The sole crew member will start to solve the emergencies by his intuition without identification, verification before acting. How is the crew coordination taken care of in this kind of cockpit culture? How this kind of operation culture been descript on the Flight Operation Manuals and how has this kind of operation been taken care of by the recurrent flight training?

This is an issue which also belongs in the category; I don't believe that this kind of operation culture can exist in any offshore flight operation organization.

As an examiner I should fail you due to bad attitude, lack of CRM, lack of crew coordination and due to non-compliance of RFM's emergency check lists.