PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying. Low hour co-pilots. Automation dependency.
Old 26th Mar 2016, 03:11
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
It's just not helpful comparing military training to civilian cadet programs- which tend to be commercial instruments to avoid wage blow-outs and get someone from A to a supervised position a few feet above the ground at B.

What is a concern in my observations is a generational loss of skills in just a few years. The rapid decline has many reasons but I think it's been accelerated by line captains refusing to take the responsibility of giving the cadets the training the system hasn't delivered. I tend to agree with the arguments that if managers aren't making a stand against commercial pressures why should a line captain expose his own operation? Though personally I get a buzz out of giving a cadet ( unbelievably ) their first raw data or visual approach in a jet - though I did discover none had been given a brief in their training on either elemental skill.

Now the generational loss of skills is an observation over the last few years and is about to be rapidly exacerbated with an increase in training pilots who are concerned about exposing their own operations as well. How can a modern day cadet be processed onto the line under the guise of evidence based training with zero exposure to raw data or visual flying?

Perhaps the solution would be instead of in a line check being asked how many bottles of water are allowed on the flight deck or the number of high viz jacket in the coat locker, there's an expectation to demonstrate some sort of hand flown flying skill such as a raw data approach. Sadly, such a cultural turn around would expose HKG operators to a potential hull loss.