PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2016, 21:49
CBSITCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do we really know what the requirement is?

I write as a current ATC Squadron OC and paused pilot at a ‘spared’ VGS.

I have just read the information note from OC 2FTS on the “Future Aviation Training Package for ATC and CCF (RAF) Cadets”. In essence it is a structured package taking a cadet through from desk-top/PTT ‘familiarisation’ from age 12 to potentially ‘gold wing’ (AGT) standard. Nothing wrong with that in itself.

My concern (but admittedly it is early days) is that the structure will be too rigidly enforced. Whilst some have criticised the poor 2FTS communication with the VGS staff fraternity, to my knowledge there has been no communication at all with the wider ATC staff – certainly squadron OCs – with regards to gliding or AEF. We have not been involved in any sort of flying TNA.

I have seen future target figures for the number of cadets to be flying trained. This number is a high proportion of total cadets in the Corps. If ATC squadrons had been consulted it may have been discovered that a high proportion of squadron cadets do not want to fly - let alone receive structured aviation training. We can encourage and entice, but we cannot force it upon them.

Let’s assume that historic GIC/AEF cadet ‘throughput’ figures are healthy (whatever that may mean). Based on “every cadet getting one flying opportunity a year” it may seem that a large number of cadets get into the air annually. But the reality is (at least in my wing) that it’s not a large number, it is actually a much smaller number of cadets getting many flights a year.

It pains me to say this, but most cadets are not interested in going flying. I can say that for certain about my own Squadron (~40 on the books, ~30 regularly parading). It is often a struggle to fill an allocation of 4, and on the rare occasion I am allocated 8 it is virtually impossible. Speaking to neighbouring squadrons in the wing I hear the same story.

I grant that my data for other squadrons is purely anecdotal, but I would be interested to hear other views on this topic. Rather than ‘The number of cadet flights per annum’ it would be enlightening to see ‘The number of cadets flying/not flying per annum’. The data is all there in Bader.

A rigidly enforced five-stage structured package as currently proposed would prohibit the current ad-hoc and highly unstructured arrangements. However unpalatable, the current situation does mean that keen cadets get more of what they want, without apparent detriment to other cadets who have other interests.

All IMHO of course.

CBSITCB