PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Major Walter Nowotny
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2003, 04:58
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ID90, you do have a valid point. This whole issue shows how thin the line is. If you join the military then you accept to follow orders by politicians you may not agree with.

I see Major Nowotny not only as a pilot who has flown with the Swatiska on his tail but also as one of the early jet fighter aces. If you argue that Makor Nowotny symbolizes a Nazi-hero then consequently you'd have to agree to destroy all the remaining Me-, Fw-, He-, Go-, Do- and Ar- fighters and bombers sitting in museums since they were nothing more than a tool for the Nazi war machinery.

In my opinion the exhibition should point out the whole truth. Yes, he was an excellent fighter pilot and yes, he was a member of the Nazi party. But does being a member of the Nazi-party make you guilty? Was he convicted in the Nuernberg trial? I find it important with the Luftwaffe history to distinguish between airplanes/pilots and warbirds/heroes for the Nazi-regime. If you'd remove Novotny's monument you'd erase history; and history's controversial - see the Iraq thread!

WW2 unfortunately is still full of controversy. Just look at Bomber Harris. It is our task to learn, and removal of historical facts does not heal wounds.

7 7 7 7